homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:14 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:44 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Hi everyone

Blue Book 2012-2013 can now be ordered, with shipping to begin on the official release date of 15 June. See this website for details:
http://www.monumentpublishing.com/blue-team-policy/blue-book-stoa-edition/

Order before 15 June and you get extra features thrown in:

BLUE BOOK

•10 chapters leading readers through the topic, the round, speaker responsibilities, history of US military involvement, analysis of the status quo, explanation of evidence, all 13 case summaries, and an extended glossary
•13 ready-to-run cases (up 1 from last year). Each is supported by evidence from fully documented and credible sources and all cases have evidentially backed plan advocacy (something not found in all sourcebooks)
•Affirmative extension evidence for the 2A and rebuttals
•13 negative briefs, one against each case.
•1A cases are printed and digital. 2A and Neg briefs are digital download. Can get all 2A and Negatives printed 3-hole-punched (optional addition for $20). Bulk orders of 10 or more, everything is printed for free.

EXTRA FEATURES FOR EARLY ORDER

•1.5 hours of Blue Disk content (video lectures about the resolution topic) available for free (sold separately for $30).
•Blue Book Curriculum study aids and worksheets (sold separately for $30).
•My Team Policy debate textbook KEYS TO TEAM POLICY DEBATE

The evidence totals approx. 350 pages with approx. 900 cards. Case list:
1. GRAVEYARD OF EMPIRES: THE CASE FOR WITHDRAWAL FROM AFGHANISTAN
2. NO BLOOD FOR OIL: THE CASE FOR REVOKING THE CARTER DOCTRINE
3. ATTACK OF THE DRONES: THE CASE FOR REFORMING DRONE WARFARE
4. LET MY PEOPLE GO: THE CASE FOR REFORMING MILITARY AID TO EGYPT
5. WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE: THE CASE FOR REFORM IN HONDURAS
6. BLOWING THE HORN: THE CASE FOR DISENGAGEMENT FROM THE HORN OF AFRICA
7. PIE IN THE SKY: THE CASE FOR CANCELING NATO MISSILE DEFENSE
8. LETHAL LEGACY: THE CASE FOR REMOVING NATO'S TACTICAL NUCLEAR WEAPONS
9. AUREVOIR: THE CASE FOR LEAVING NATO
10. UNPAK: THE CASE FOR ENDING THE ALLIANCE WITH PAKISTAN
11. DEAL WITH THE DEVIL: THE CASE FOR REFORMING THE ALLIANCE WITH SAUDI ARABIA
12. LESS IS MORE: THE CASE FOR WITHDRAWAL FROM SOUTH KOREA
13. TUG OF WAR: THE CASE FOR REFORMING WAR POWERS

Later this fall, sold separately, BLUE BOOK ADVANCED will have a big stack of generic briefs along with specific Negative briefs against cases published in other books.

Have a fantastic debate season

"Coach Vance" Trefethen

Any questions about "how to?" or "how do I?" - please direct them to the publisher at the website above. Any questions about content, what's inside the book, PM or ask here. (PM if you want a reasonably fast reply).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 am 
pair o' dimes

Home Schooled: Yes
Just saw a copy of the Bluebook at NITOC - it looks great. Best I've seen in years. Great work, Coach Vance. :)

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:47 am 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

I'd like to throw in a quick thumbs up for Monument Publishing. Newer members may be too young to remember it, but the Blue Books of yore used to be the subject of much derision for their perceived poor quality and high price. ("Anything's better than Blue Book", etc.) Much of this was bandwagoning, but some of it was legitimate.

Blue Book in recent years has really stepped up their game - higher quality Affirmatives, more credible sources, better value for the money, etc. The material and style doesn't match everyone's tastes exactly (no sourcebook can), but you can't deny that it's a solid product with lots of good content.

Would I like to change some things? Sure. Is it still overpriced? Possibly, depending on how you look at it (the sourcebook market is a strange beast.) But is it bad? No.

Go buy it. Or don't. Depends on what kind of sourcebook you like to work with.

COG 2013 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.4 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:39 pm 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

Does monument publishing provide any product demos? It would be nice if I could get my hands on a sample case or a Negative brief to see if I can work with the sourcebook's style and organization.

ElegantEvidence.org | Format evidence like a pro.
Ethos Debate | Coaching, Sourcebooks, Camps

The opinions expressed on this account do not reflect the opinions of my employers. Heck, they might not even reflect MY opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm 
The Philosophy Juggler

coachvance wrote:
11. DEAL WITH THE DEVIL: THE CASE FOR REFORMING THE ALLIANCE WITH SAUDI ARABIA

Just out of curiosity, how many years has the Blue Book had this case title? Because I remember it multiple times in a row... it's cool that you guys are sort of "branding" your titles.

And I'd have to concur with Daniel here. The blue book has gotten much better, and I applaud you, Coach Vance for continually improving and heeding to the debater's wishes.

Kohiotoko wrote:
Do rap lyrics trump Ph.D papers in terms of credibility? I'm inclined to say yes.
Kohiotoko wrote:
CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME YOU GUYS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 pm 
McNixmunk

Mr Glasses wrote:
Does monument publishing provide any product demos? It would be nice if I could get my hands on a sample case or a Negative brief to see if I can work with the sourcebook's style and organization.

You know, if my whole sourcebook sharing argument wasn't crushed dismissed without serious consideration...

Just kidding. : P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Free Sample/Demo? - yes, there should be soon a free sample 1AC at the Monument Publishing web site. I suspect the publisher is currently occupied with Stoa/NITOC, but I know he has plans to put a free case there.

Deal with the Devil - Blue Book has always been pleased to be at the forefront of efforts to oppose the Great Deceiver. ;)

But yes, this case slogan has been used multiple times - seems there's always some kind of policy in the Status Quo that fits that description. In this case, we found an expert who described US alliance with Saudi Arabia as a "Faustian Bargain" i.e., a deal with the devil.

Blue Book Advanced will be coming out in the Fall (sold separately) with a large selection of Generic briefs as well as on-case NEG briefs against most or all of the 1ACs that we see published in the other sourcebooks at the end of the summer. BBA will encompass everything, so there won't be a BB MidSeason.

Some of the generic topics to be addressed will be:

Anti-Americanism
Arms Races (not a problem)
China Bad
China Good
Defense Budget Cuts (bad)
Deficit DA
Hegemony Bad
Hegemony Good
Human Rights Criterion for AFF policies - bad
Intervention abroad - bad
Intervention abroad - good
Iran - big threat
Iran - no threat
Isolationism
Military Base Closures
Nuclear Proliferation - not a problem
Piracy - not a problem
Russia - threat
Russia - no threat
Soft Power - bad
Terrorism - not a problem

...and more.

thanks
"Coach Vance"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:42 pm 

ParadigmPWNS wrote:
Just saw a copy of the Bluebook at NITOC - it looks great. Best I've seen in years. Great work, Coach Vance. :)

Wait, so it's already finished?!? :shock: :D

Is the private sector doing "fine"? Check this out: http://obamaisntworking.com/videos/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 pm 

Quote:
Wait, so it's already finished?!?

Yes. Advance copies were on display at NITOC and they get sent out starting 15 June.

Blue Book - the oldest and best selling homeschool policy debate briefs
Blue Book Advanced
Blue Book MidSeason Supplement
http://www.speechsupplies.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 pm 

...and speaking of the same "Deal with the Devil" moniker, with regard to an actual plan that keeps coming back, this year marks the third year the "Remove tactical nuclear weapons from NATO" plan has appeared in Blue Book. The evidence has been updated of course. The TNWs are owned by the US and are deployed by the US mlitary in Europe as part of our NATO military alliance, so they fit this year's resolution perfectly.

My old partner Rob Parks and I came out of retirement and ran it during a Final Showdown debate at Camp a couple years ago with the Russia resolution, against the fine Samuelson brother/sister team, who did a great job opposing us.

The team I coached in New Hampshire that year ran the case a lot and had good results with it. The AFF advocacy for it is amazingly good and, while there is some Neg advocacy (a big article just came out last year published by someone at Nato who opposes removal), speaking objectively, the balance of the evidence that's available really favors the AFF.

I think it's unlikely NATO will ever remove those last few nukes they have, so probably as long as I'm writing Blue Books, it seems likely that every few years that case will come back again whenever we get a resolution that will allow it. :)

Blue Book Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm 

The free 1AC case download is now available online here:

http://www.monumentpublishing.com/downloads

It's our "Honduras" case. Free registration is required, and once you get in, the download of this sample 1AC is free.

Blue Book Advanced