homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Reputable News Sources?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Home Schooled: Yes
I'm trying to keep more abreast of news and public policy on a global scale in an effort to be an informed, responsible citizen. However, it's getting to be a bit difficult to know who/what to trust. So, my question is simple: What news sources (particularly foreign ones) are considered reputable? (Note: By "reputable," I mean "will report true things," but don't really want to get into the hairy arguments about whether sources are biased towards one political party. However, noting the political leanings of news sources you recommend would be nice.) Conversely, what are some untrustworthy sources I should avoid?

For example: I generally trust articles from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post the most. I also follow well-known news magazines like Time and The Economist every now and then. When comes to foreign papers, though, I'm not really sure what to trust. (For instance, The Telegraph vs. The Guardian, or whether Al Jazeera is reputable, etc.)

How do you guys get your news?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:07 am 
Hermione's smart friend

Al Jazeera America was quite respectable (they broke the Flint crisis, for example), but now defunct. Al Jazeera English still exists and is robust. Arab News is the largest English language newspaper in Saudi Arabia, distributed widely in several other countries, and often engages questions of Western influence, civil rights, and politics in a way that annoys the Saudi government. In the UK, the BBC is decent for basic reporting but often goes into less depth. The Guardian and The Telegraph are both highly regarded. The Times has deep archives and an interesting history if you want historical references for any reason. Der Spiegel is an influential and occasionally controversial news mag in Germany. Remember your wire sources, too, AP, AFP, and Reuters being the main ones. I'm also fond of The Christian Science Monitor, Ars Technica (tech/science news), Wired (tech/science news), The Economist, and C-SPAN. If you have access to it, I bet you could also search The International Journal of Press/Politics for some of their most cited/covered sources.

"Because we're grown-ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means."
<3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:19 am 

breitbart news

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
I basically exclusively read the economist. I don't have time to read much more, and they're a foreign source that covers basically every noteworthy event worldwide.

I also enjoy http://mideast.liveuamap.com/

No analysis goes into it--it's basically just a live feed of events. But I love the map-based functionality--geography may not be everything, but it's important. It's pretty limited to just syria and parts of Asia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:04 am 

I think you should read the National Enquirer. :lol: I would love to judge somebody and watch them cite them in a debate round.

If I had to pick two news sources, they would hands down be the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. Both tend to be factually accurate and consistently good journalism, and both with a moderate bias in opposite directions. So you get the facts and spin from one that the other might leave out.

I would definitely recommend the Economist over the Times. And my impression is that the Guardian is superior to the Telegraph but that's based on some pretty big generalizations from a pretty small sample, if you know what I mean. I've never read Al Jazeera.

"But I declare that Carthage must be destroyed."
Cato the Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 pm 
I know not this "leverage" of which you speak.

In general, "news" isn't a great source of information. "Staying informed" about "current events" is overrated. Try, I dunno, the classics, or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm 

News is my guilty pleasure. If I had the self control I would definitely purge it. It can really do a number on your mental health and it will give you a very warped sense of reality. It will make you far more terrified of terrorist attacks, school shootings, alligators, shark attacks, marijuana, plane crashs, Zika, Ebola, murder, black people, Arabs, Muslims, Hispanics, and other relatively harmless or rare things, instead of the real more mundane killers like heart disease, cancer, and chronic lower respiratory diseases. If you have to get your news fix, stick with CSPAN.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/ ... lf-dobelli
http://www.livescience.com/3780-odds-dying.html