homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:23 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Hello, home school speech and debaters!

For the fifth consecutive year, I am offering Ziggy Online Debate! Debaters from all across the country can sign up to compete in an online practice tournament for only $20 (or $25 if you sign up after the competition has started). That's much cheaper than most actual tournaments - not to mention the savings on travel costs, meals, and hotel fees. And, the winning debaters and speakers will get free Ziggy Online Debate t-shirts and Amazon gift cards! Ziggy competitors have experienced real-world success at tournaments, due to the pre-season practice they are able to get. In fact, since the first year we offered Ziggy, one of the debate finalists at the NCFCA National Championship has been a Ziggy competitor.

For those of you who haven't heard of Ziggy before, we offer 10 online debate rounds (one per week) between October and December for NCFCA (taking the week off for Thanksgiving). Debaters get randomly paired against other competitors for the first four rounds, and then starting in round 5, they will be powermatched (debaters will compete against others who have similar records and roughly opposite speaker points). We take into account region, state, and club to try to protect you from debating those you've competed against in person. All competitors are required to sign up a judge when registering, so that's how we find judges. Each week, we'll email competitors with information on who they're debating that week and provide them with contact information to get in touch with their opponent. Once they agree on a time to debate, the competitors can find a judge from our Judge List (which is now password protected for privacy purposes) for the time they've selected. Competitors usually use Skype or Google+ Hangouts for their debates.

Also, for the first time ever, we are also expanding Ziggy to Stoa this year! Since Stoa's season starts before NCFCA's does, Ziggy for Stoa will start in September and end in November, giving competitors the same great 10 weeks opportunity for competition. Of course, debaters will only compete against other debaters from their same league (NCFCA or Stoa) since the resolutions are different.

If you have any questions, please let me know! Visit the website for more details: http://www.ziggyonlinedebate.us
Sincerely,
Isaac Sommers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:25 pm 
Hint hint peoples.

I'll be sure to let my students know about this great opportunity, now that it's expanded to Stoa! :D

As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. -Psalm 42:1

Truth is treason in an empire of lies...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:32 am 

Definitely worth it ^. Great way to get some good arguments against your Case (so you'll be more prepped for the first tournament or two of the tournament). Great way to hear about new cases and prep against them. Excellent way to build team experience if you can't usually debate (Both years I used it my partners lived in different states).

Also realize that a computer-interface isn't perfect so winning and losing rounds is a lot more subjective, but still a good way to warm up for the year.

As a question for Isaac, if I want to judge this year, is there a way to indicate that I'd rather judge NCFCA rounds than STOA?

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:37 am 

Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes, I'll have the judge signup form updated tomorrow with an indicator. In the meantime just shoot me an email indicating your preference.