homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Posts: 471
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Purcellville, VA
y-man23 wrote:
TP Region 7 Regionals Results
1. Landers/Shoemaker (Q)
2. Foster/Foster (PQ)
3. Beaver/Rigby (Q)
4. Kaercher/Pleban (Q)
5. Huckabay/Samelson (Q)
6. Howard/Howard (Q)
7. Hudson/Poythress
8. Roberts/Roberts

Brown/Suder will likely get the At-Large slot.

No Abell/Tant or Ledoux/Lovett?

_________________
RIX Alum | Patrick Henry College | Class of 2019


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:01 am
Posts: 651
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Flying a UFO to an undisclosed location ;)
marinadelayne wrote:
No Abell/Tant or Ledoux/Lovett?

Beaver/Rigby knocked out Ledoux/Lovett in Octas. From what I've heard Ledoux/Lovett is in second in at-large for their region, so they have a decent shot at getting an invite. Region 8 had one year where only 4 directly qualified and we still got 2 at-large slots if my memory serves me correctly. Joseph Abell had qualified to Nationals in LD at an open.

_________________
John Mark Porter, Alumni
Arx Axiom/Carpe Dictum/Verdict/UADC/HSDC/HSDRC

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Posts: 471
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Purcellville, VA
Voice of Reason wrote:
marinadelayne wrote:
No Abell/Tant or Ledoux/Lovett?

Beaver/Rigby knocked out Ledoux/Lovett in Octas. From what I've heard Ledoux/Lovett is in second in at-large for their region, so they have a decent shot at getting an invite. Region 8 had one year where only 4 directly qualified and we still got 2 at-large slots if my memory serves me correctly. Joseph Abell had qualified to Nationals in LD at an open.
Ah. I hope Ledoux/Lovett does end up with a slot. So Abell/Tant did not compete at regionals?

_________________
RIX Alum | Patrick Henry College | Class of 2019


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 pm
Posts: 59
Home Schooled: Yes
marinadelayne wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:
marinadelayne wrote:
No Abell/Tant or Ledoux/Lovett?

Beaver/Rigby knocked out Ledoux/Lovett in Octas. From what I've heard Ledoux/Lovett is in second in at-large for their region, so they have a decent shot at getting an invite. Region 8 had one year where only 4 directly qualified and we still got 2 at-large slots if my memory serves me correctly. Joseph Abell had qualified to Nationals in LD at an open.
Ah. I hope Ledoux/Lovett does end up with a slot. So Abell/Tant did not compete at regionals?

They competed and were knocked out in octa-finals, they haven't gotten past octas all year in region and therefore don't have a shot at at-large so Joseph is doing LD.

_________________
Hammy wrote:
Noah is right


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Posts: 471
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Purcellville, VA
NerdRipper7 wrote:
marinadelayne wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:
marinadelayne wrote:
No Abell/Tant or Ledoux/Lovett?

Beaver/Rigby knocked out Ledoux/Lovett in Octas. From what I've heard Ledoux/Lovett is in second in at-large for their region, so they have a decent shot at getting an invite. Region 8 had one year where only 4 directly qualified and we still got 2 at-large slots if my memory serves me correctly. Joseph Abell had qualified to Nationals in LD at an open.
Ah. I hope Ledoux/Lovett does end up with a slot. So Abell/Tant did not compete at regionals?

They competed and were knocked out in octa-finals, they haven't gotten past octas all year in region and therefore don't have a shot at at-large so Joseph is doing LD.
Ah. Thanks! And congrats, btw.

_________________
RIX Alum | Patrick Henry College | Class of 2019


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 pm
Posts: 160
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Region 7
Brown/Suder and Ledoux/Lovett got at large in Region 7!

_________________
~ Savannah Rigby

Beaver/Rigby | 2015-2016

Check out this video!

And this one!


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:01 am
Posts: 651
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Flying a UFO to an undisclosed location ;)
SavyAvy wrote:
Brown/Suder and Ledoux/Lovett got at large in Region 7!

Yay!

_________________
John Mark Porter, Alumni
Arx Axiom/Carpe Dictum/Verdict/UADC/HSDC/HSDRC

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Posts: 471
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Purcellville, VA
SavyAvy wrote:
Brown/Suder and Ledoux/Lovett got at large in Region 7!

Oh good. We just got notification of our slot as well. :)

_________________
RIX Alum | Patrick Henry College | Class of 2019


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 1393
Home Schooled: Yes
Last I heard, Region 10 regionals finals was Min/Murch vs. Laborde/Ostertag (no surprise there :P). I couldn't make it to regionals, but since Laborde/Ostertag broke, that guarantees us the AL slot for Region 10. :)

_________________
Check out my new website!

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 1393
Home Schooled: Yes
Min/Murch won. They were neg. Laborde/Ostertag got second, Freire/Yoon got third, and Anastasi/Anastasi got fourth.

And because of our strange and messed up slot allocation system, we somehow only got three slots to nationals, so only the top three are going. It makes no sense, because TP is bigger in our region this year than it has been in like 4 or 5 years, and we've always gotten 4 or more slots. Man, NCFCA really ought to fix this system, it doesn't make sense.

_________________
Check out my new website!

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 pm
Posts: 59
Home Schooled: Yes
Cyberknight wrote:
Min/Murch won. They were neg. Laborde/Ostertag got second, Freire/Yoon got third, and Anastasi/Anastasi got fourth.

And because of our strange and messed up slot allocation system, we somehow only got three slots to nationals, so only the top three are going. It makes no sense, because TP is bigger in our region this year than it has been in like 4 or 5 years, and we've always gotten 4 or more slots. Man, NCFCA really ought to fix this system, it doesn't make sense.


Hence, student advisory council.

_________________
Hammy wrote:
Noah is right


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:21 am
Posts: 35
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Running
Cyberknight wrote:
Min/Murch won. They were neg. Laborde/Ostertag got second, Freire/Yoon got third, and Anastasi/Anastasi got fourth.

And because of our strange and messed up slot allocation system, we somehow only got three slots to nationals, so only the top three are going. It makes no sense, because TP is bigger in our region this year than it has been in like 4 or 5 years, and we've always gotten 4 or more slots. Man, NCFCA really ought to fix this system, it doesn't make sense.


Our region had a disappointing number of debate slots as well. I remember a few years ago (Federal Election Law) our region got 3 slots in TP. No biggie, we only had like 20-ish teams, but LD had around 40 debaters, and they got several more (8-12 range) plus PQ'd rolldowns.

This year, TP had 32 teams and LD had ~17 debaters. TP got 5 slots plus a rolldown curtesy of Foster/Foster. LD also got 5 slots. Go figure.

_________________
Region VII - AL
Poythress B/Poythress P (Criminal Justice) 2012
Hurst B/Poythress P - (United Nations) 2013
Poythress B/Poythress P - (Election Law) 2014
Poythress B/Poythress P - (Middle East) 2015
Hudson W/Poythress P - (Court Reform) 2016
Poythress P/Roberts J - (China) 2017


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
Cyberknight wrote:
I couldn't make it to regionals,

Do you have at-large?

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 am
Posts: 635
Home Schooled: Yes
Cyberknight wrote:
since Laborde/Ostertag broke, that guarantees us the AL slot for Region 10. :)

^^^^^^

_________________
:lol:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:17 pm
Posts: 59
Home Schooled: Yes
Peter_Policy wrote:
Cyberknight wrote:
Min/Murch won. They were neg. Laborde/Ostertag got second, Freire/Yoon got third, and Anastasi/Anastasi got fourth.

And because of our strange and messed up slot allocation system, we somehow only got three slots to nationals, so only the top three are going. It makes no sense, because TP is bigger in our region this year than it has been in like 4 or 5 years, and we've always gotten 4 or more slots. Man, NCFCA really ought to fix this system, it doesn't make sense.


Our region had a disappointing number of debate slots as well. I remember a few years ago (Federal Election Law) our region got 3 slots in TP. No biggie, we only had like 20-ish teams, but LD had around 40 debaters, and they got several more (8-12 range) plus PQ'd rolldowns.

This year, TP had 32 teams and LD had ~17 debaters. TP got 5 slots plus a rolldown curtesy of Foster/Foster. LD also got 5 slots. Go figure.

At regionals it was 23 LD to 30 TP. But remember 4 LDers didn't go to regionals in LD because they also qualified in TP. My mom asked Mrs. Hudson and she said it was really close but it was a fifty-fifty split in the end bc we didn't meet the 60-40 ratio necessary to get more slots.

_________________
Hammy wrote:
Noah is right


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
NerdRipper7 wrote:
At regionals it was 23 LD to 30 TP.

In Region 8 we have about 30 TP teams and 60 LDers. :|

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 am
Posts: 1393
Home Schooled: Yes
Quote:
At regionals it was 23 LD to 30 TP. But remember 4 LDers didn't go to regionals in LD because they also qualified in TP. My mom asked Mrs. Hudson and she said it was really close but it was a fifty-fifty split in the end bc we didn't meet the 60-40 ratio necessary to get more slots.

This whole 50/50 vs 60/40 allocation system makes no sense whatsoever. I don't understand why NCFCA doesn't just allocate all the slots to TP and LD entirely separately. What on earth is the rationale behind allocating LD and TP together, then splitting them among the two? It results in weird scenarios where you have an increase in people, but fewer slots, just because the other style of debate had a larger influx in people. Why should TPers be punished just because a bunch of people are doing LD?

EDIT: My partner tells me the real reason we got so few slots was because there were not enough early-bird registrations. In that case, why doesn't NCFCA allocate based on how many TPers are registered by the first tournament, rather than how many are registered at the beginning of the year?

EDIT 2: I'm wondering: Are there ever so few people in an event that there are no AL slots? Also, if you get an AL slot, how long after regionals will you be notified about it approximately?

_________________
Check out my new website!

"Never quote yourself on internet forums" - Gabriel Blacklock, 2014


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm
Posts: 391
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Falling at a 60° angle, defying physics
Cyberknight wrote:
Also, if you get an AL slot, how long after regionals will you be notified about it approximately?

Well, I just got the AL email for our TP slot, so I'd guess pretty quickly.

_________________
Andrew

Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2012-13
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2013-14
Barndt/Barndt | TACT, R10 | 2014-15
Barndt/Blacklock | Arete, R10 | 2015-16
Barndt/Cuddeback | R10 | 2016-17
Barndt/Wolf | SALT, R10 | 2017-18

JohnMarkPorter1 wrote:
I'm inclined to think like Andrew does.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Posts: 1377
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: H*wL*tt P*ck*rd muffins
The Pumaman wrote:
Cyberknight wrote:
Also, if you get an AL slot, how long after regionals will you be notified about it approximately?

Well, I just got the AL email for our TP slot, so I'd guess pretty quickly.

Thank goodness.

_________________
-Joshua
The dumb Boatswain's Mate who once did debate
Proud Coastie, Puddle Pirate, and Shallow Water Sailor


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:12 pm
Posts: 74
Home Schooled: Yes
Cyberknight wrote:
And because of our strange and messed up slot allocation system, we somehow only got three slots to nationals, so only the top three are going. It makes no sense, because TP is bigger in our region this year than it has been in like 4 or 5 years, and we've always gotten 4 or more slots. Man, NCFCA really ought to fix this system, it doesn't make sense.

What he said. EDIT: I take that back... we are just a smaller region I guess :lol:

Region 10 Results:
1. Min/Murch (qualifying to nationals)
2. LaBorde/Ostertag (qualifying to nationals)
3. Freire/Yoon (qualifying to nationals)
4. Anastasi/Anastasi

_________________
Lincoln Douglas 2012-2013
Anastasi/Clarahan 2013-2014
Anastasi/Anastasi 2014-2015
Anastasi/Anastasi 2015-2016
Anastasi/Anastasi 2016-2017
~~~
Arete TP Club :becool:


Last edited by Seabass00 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited