homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Favorite TP Resolution?
Budget Appropriation 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Higher Education 67%  67%  [ 14 ]
Social Security & Medicare 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 21
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:07 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
For me, A is too narrow, B is intriguing, C is optimal.

Denney/Denney 2016-2017 Club 19:14

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 am 

Appropriation seems like it's very broad, so long as the interpretation of "process" is kept reasonable this could be an intriguing option. Seems like it could get either boring or technical.
I've been advocating for a higher education resolution in the past and as a college student this is a debate that I would really enjoy coaching and judging, but I do think the ambiguity regarding an actor is a huge weakness. I think it can be really valuable experience for students to learn to overcome the cons that are mentioned in the resolutions overview (that many of their judges will have first hand experience). Furthermore, I might disagree with the resolution overview on this con topic because most of the sourcebook writers will have perfect experience to make sourcebooks valuable, most coaches and family members will also be able to provide advice, and usually older siblings as well, to say nothing of the many students who probably already involved in dual enrollment courses who would have first hand experience that way.
I generally distaste the medicare and social security resolutions that I feel like I have heard suggested in the past. Yes, it's probably very valuable for students to look into these issues, but it brings up the same issues as con that are put to the education resolution this year. I tend to think it will get too complicated and really hard on novices and newcomers to debate.
I think there is a lot of good content offered by Resolution B and that's probably what I'd vote for if I had to choose.

2011-12 l Porter/Thomason, Light/Porter
2012-13 l Bailey/Porter
2013-14 l Bailey/Porter
2014-15 l Folkert/Porter

2015-16 I Childs/Porter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 pm 

ABOLISH ALL ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS

!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 pm 

K so the rez is higher ed..
In the descriptions of the rez options they noted the difference between 'United States' and 'United States Federal Government' as if it opened up more options for actors (idk like the states or something) but the term 'United States' already refers pretty much exclusively to the fed gov. 'United States of America' typically refers to the states (at least according to my really limited and hardly conclusive research from a case prior).

Does the word actually change anything or is this just another substantially v significantly deal?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:40 pm 

Home Schooled: No
InfiniteUnderscores wrote:
In the descriptions of the rez options they noted the difference between 'United States' and 'United States Federal Government' as if it opened up more options for actors (idk like the states or something) but the term 'United States' already refers pretty much exclusively to the fed gov. 'United States of America' typically refers to the states (at least according to my really limited and hardly conclusive research from a case prior).

Does the word actually change anything or is this just another substantially v significantly deal?

Keep in mind that the wording is not necessarily finalized yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:08 am 

I think the wording does matter. If it specified federal government then you definitely could only use the federal government. As it is now, you could make the argument for state actors. However, I would argue that all states would have to make the same change. Since it specifies United States as a whole, you can have just NE making a change in policy. At the same time you could still legitimately make the argument for only having fiat over the federal government.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm 

Settota wrote:

I think the wording does matter. If it specified federal government then you definitely could only use the federal government. As it is now, you could make the argument for state actors. However, I would argue that all states would have to make the same change. Since it specifies United States as a whole, you can have just NE making a change in policy. At the same time you could still legitimately make the argument for only having fiat over the federal government.

I think regardless if 'US' refers to the federal or state level, it's difficult for a policy initiated by one state to be significant. Possible, but really hard.

So more agents?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:06 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Settota wrote:

I think regardless if 'US' refers to the federal or state level, it's difficult for a policy initiated by one state to be significant. Possible, but really hard.

So more agents?

Since it's just "the United States," I could see a case being made with the agent being some national accreditation organization (they aren't public, but they ostensibly decide the policy of most US schools of higher education).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
The vast majority of higher ed policy is made at the state level. Feds have a bunch of mandates which they pass on via contingencies for federal funding (Pell grants, etc.), but the biggest schools are public institutions which are, of course, owned and operated by the states.

An interp that excludes state actors therefore probably wouldn't fly, but it would be even more absurd to expect teams to research plans which affect individual states. I can think of a half-dozen "significant reforms" in Texas alone that would be big enough to debate but wouldn't really fall under the purview of a single generic.

So every neg (and, heck, aff) needs to have a multi-actor fiat block prepared and ready.