homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kritiks?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
What do you guys think of K's? Should they be used? If I choose to run a few am I doomed to lose all communication with the judge? We run K's against about 4 cases and on one of them the judge didn't vote for us because "I do not like Kritiks." That was the exact statement in the judge's RFD. Is this expected or was that simply a subjective statement?

Post subject: Re: Kritiks?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:42 am 

I got buy on three years of debate running a K once. I lost.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 am 
Hot Ta-Molly

I think I ran 3 K's last year...a constitutionality K twice (linked to federalism), and a hegemony K once (linked to cutting money from NASA). I lost the constitutionality ones (one parent judge, and parent/community/alum outround), but won on the hegemony one (parent judge).

If you have a college/alumni judge, run your kritik. If you have a parent judge and you REALLY need to run a kritik, run it, and explain to them that this is like a disadvantage, but it's against the mindset of their plan, so it's somewhat different. Make it super clear and simple. If you have a community judge, I wouldn't suggest it because you really don't want them confused. They have a tendency to vote aff already with them getting the first and last word, so don't risk your clarity.

"Isn't it bewildering…that everything is so beautiful, despite all the horrors that exist?" -Sophie Scholl

Life Posterz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 am 
Truth In Advertising

If you have a thoroughly thought out and developed kritik that you are comfortable and adept at running in a round, then definitely run it.

Otherwise don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:47 pm 

If you run a K, run it right...if you don't everyone (yourself included) will be confused and you'll probably loose.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm 

Wow...I went to find the old thread on Kritiks, and found out it had been archived...I feel olldddd.

Vicious_Zephyr93 wrote:
What do you guys think of K's?

I personally find them enjoyable. Maybe I'm a little frivolous in my usage, but I've found them to be fun to debate.

Also, you can try a slightly different tack for some K's, and just run them as DA's which might be easier.

Vicious_Zephyr93 wrote:
Should they be used?

Like any argument, the answer is, "maybe." It will depend on 1) Its strategic viability, 2) Your own comfort level, 3) The Round. It's really subjective, and you'll have to judge this for yourself each round when it's a possibility.

Vicious_Zephyr wrote:
If I choose to run a few am I doomed to lose all communication with the judge?

No. Failed communication is not the fault of the Kritik, it's the fault of its presentation and argumentation through the round. In other words, you.

Vicious_Zephyr93 wrote:
We run K's against about 4 cases and on one of them the judge didn't vote for us because "I do not like Kritiks."

Don't let one judge's opinion about a certain argument stop you from running it for other judges. Also, I had a judge once that hated Topicality and hated anything to do with theory. What did we run? Yeah, pretty much nothing but topicality and theory. (of course, we didn't know she didn't like it until after the round) We won. Why? Because we were "more persuasive." So it is definitely feasible to win on an argument the judge doesn't like.

Go forth and convert the non-believers!

Vicious_Zephyr93 wrote:
Is this expected or was that simply a subjective statement?

Completely subjective. Instead of forgetting Kritiks, think about how you can make a judge that doesn't like Kritiks, like them. Change their viewpoint on Kritiks, by running an amazing one.

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:05 pm 
melancholy milkshakes. no straws.

This is a much better thread for Debate Theory Discussion, fyi ;)

That said, I don't really like kritiks. They're usually pointless arguments that are usually too nit-picky and sidestep the main issues. I have seen some legit kritiks that I'd run, but I will stay away from them for the most part.

I would kritik a whole rez case in a heartbeat ;)

Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled
And that has made all the difference

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm 

If you are going to run a kritik, be sure you know it inside and out, backwards and forwards, upside-down, sideways, in English, French, German, Latin, and Elvish. K's, more so than any other argument, will not work if you just pull out the file and read it for the first time in the 1NC. If you haven't read and cut the literature behind the K yourself, you probably shouldn't run it.

That said, kritiks are fun, and if you can clearly articulate one, go ahead and run it. I hope there aren't that many judges who will vote against a K purely becuase it is a K, even though you explained it perfectly clearly.

Delta_FC wrote:
Also, you can try a slightly different tack for some K's, and just run them as DA's which might be easier.
Meh. I suspect that weird hybridizations are one of the reasons people don't like K's. Though if you can run the argument as a legit DA, that's probably a better strategy.

~G.K. Chesteron, Heretics

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]