homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

Home Schooled: Yes
Just curious about other people's logic. If you're like me, you've probably seen rounds like this:

NEG: So, a lot of nations have this problem, but you only solve it for Russia?
AFF: Yes.
NEG: Why don't you implement this worldwide?
AFF: Um... because the resolution is about Russia. :oops:

Intuitively, this just feels wrong, and sets off all sorts of "BAD POLICY" lights in one's brain. But theoretically, is there any real reason why the Aff shouldn't arbitrarily limit their case to be more topical? (Ignoring real-life arguments, like favoritism DAs, etc.)

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

Firstly, there is no reason why the affirmative should not advocate the policy only towards Russia.
Secondly, such a resolutional limit is not a reason to vote negative.

Two years ago, I thought exactly the other way around. Along with favoring jurisdiction over fairness as a T impact and thinking that counterplans must be topical, I wrote a framework for what I called a "global CP", which would pass the affirmative's plan without limiting it to India. It took me a while to realize that the "global CP" was just a plan-plus counterplan which provided no reason to vote against the resolutionally-limited plan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:13 am 
The Great White Sharc

I can't think of a theoretical reason against it. India year I ran my case both specific to India, and globally (with only India advantages), and I had little theoretical troubles. I got a couple plan-plus counterplans I beat with theory, and topicality every round the one tournament we ran it globally, but we didn't lose any rounds on that. It's probably easier to run it specific to Russia, unless someone comes up with a really killer favoritism/consistency DA.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 pm 

013 wrote:
It's probably easier to run it specific to Russia, unless someone comes up with a really killer favoritism/consistency DA.

What I was gonna say.
I think it would be awesome if you could turn it though - my guess is, any DA like that would have one of two impacts: 1. favoritism bad (general), alienation, 2. specific scenario - china won't like it, or something like that. (I have no idea who wouldn't like it, so...yeah).
You could just impact turn it and carry on your merry way - favoritism good, because Russia's key to XYZ. Or even something like Iran or China - alienating China good.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]