homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Unofficial announcement
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:26 am 

Home Schooled: No
Details to follow soon, when we've got them hammered out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm 

We're getting closer to a formal announcement, but here are the details.

• $2000, renewable for all four years. Put that on top of other financial aid, and the price comes way down.
  • Anyone may apply, but home schooling students are the first priority.
  • Minimum expectations of forensics success:
    • Qualifying at least two events for NITOC
    • Reaching the elimination rounds at NCFCA regionals in at least two events.
    • Non home-schooling students should’ve reached the elimination rounds at NFL nationals, or qualified for the Tournament of Champions.
  • For the first two years, students compete as team members. After two years of competition, students retire from competition and become peer coaches.
  • Students owe me 100 hours of work each academic term for forensics participation.
    • For competitors, practice sessions and preparation work count toward the total.
    • For peer coaches, time spent coaching counts toward the total.
    • Each tournament attended counts as a 20 hour block.
    • Seat time in class counts for any of the following: Beginning & Advanced Public Speaking, Speechwriting, Forensics, Professional Presentations. Also, any Special Topics class whose topic is explicitly linked to speaking, oral interpretation, or argumentation.
    • Peer coaches can also work off their time by coaching (for free) with area Christian schools, or with a homeschooling club if such exists by then. (There currently aren't any in or near Eugene that I'm aware of. I'd love it if someone would get one started.)
    • Students are expected to log their time, and I trust them unless they give me a reason not to.
  • Grade restrictions:
    • If their cumulative GPA goes below a 3.5, they go on probation.
    • Two straight terms, or three non-consecutive terms, below a 3.5 ends the scholarship.
    • The above may be appealed if special circumstances apply.

People who have questions or want more information can PM me. The application process will start after the formal announcement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:55 pm 

Yesterday I sent around an announcement email to the contact people for about a hundred Stoa clubs. I'd do the same for NCFCA, but I couldn't find publicly available contact emails for those folks. The email itself contained the bullet points in the post above this one, a link to this video and this playlist, and the application form for the scholarship. If you'd like the application form, or know anyone else who'd be interested, PM me with (an) email address(es) and I'll send it along.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:14 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I forget all the state reps ones, but region1@ncfca.org, region2...etc through 10 all go to regional coordinators.

Also, you can put a free ad for it into the next issue of Etch. Just write it up/make it look pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:01 am 

Now it's official enough that the application is up. If you'd like to be considered for one of the NCU forensics scholarships for fall 2012 and beyond, click here and complete the form. (Along the way, you'll also need to apply for admission, obviously.)

As I post this, the form says "Forensics Team Application," which isn't quite right. It's the application for the scholarship. Clicking "submit" sends it straight to me, so if you want to follow up with questions or more information, you can find my email pretty easily on the web site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 am 

Since this forum's been slow for a few weeks, I figured it's a good time to drop a reminder that the priority deadline for fall admission to NCU is January 15. If we're on your list, it would be good for you to submit the scholarship application by that time, because as candidates with good credentials show up, we'll give the scholarships out, and you don't want to miss an opportunity by waiting too long.

Did I neglect to mention that I pretty regularly bake cookies for the forensics team? Because I pretty regularly bake cookies for the forensics team.

As always, I'm available to field any questions about the scholarships, the team, the school, or forensics in general.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Home Schooled: Yes
Why should I go to Northwest Christian? My goal is to make some sort of impact on public policy, how would your school help me in that way? I'd love to work for you on a debate team though, your videos are amazing, I'm just curious about the general points for the University to begin wiht?

SDG.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 am 

And you're in my prayers that God will guide you to the perfect fit. I'm feeling pretty 1 John 5:14 about that request, so now we just sit back and see where He leads!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm 

It's the product of your hard work. You've worked your way to tangible success, and that merits reward. I hope NCU winds up being the best fit for you, but if it doesn't, you'll make a formidable addition to whatever student body you join.

For any curious onlookers, Masked Midnight earned a scholarship in our first round of awards. We still have more scholarships left to give, so if you've had a look at the school and it seems like a good fit, and the model of the NCU forensics program is something you could be excited about, then you might fill out the application yourself.

As always, I'm here to field questions, either publicly or via PM.