homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:46 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
It's based on a parliamentary form of government like that in Britain, where you have a coalition government and multiple opposition factions. Each team on the government bench in a british parli round has to distinguish itself while still working with and affirming the other team. The opposition factions have somewhat more leeway to come at the government from different angles.

I wrote a long explanation of British Parli in a thread here a while back: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9363

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:23 pm 
THE Cookie Monster!

I really want to do BP. It sounds like so much fun. And it sounds way more real-world than NPDA, at least. I don't know much about APDA.

Speaking of, what is the difference between NPDA and APDA? The school I've been looking at lately does the later, but I'm only familiar with the former.

Bakke/Bakke | TP <3 | 10-11
Bakke/Van Ness | TP <3 | 11-13
Sad Brenna | LD ew | 13-14
PHC Student | wow such college deb8 | 14&beyond

You're not alone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 pm 

Luke also wrote a great explanation on APDA vs. NPDA: viewtopic.php?p=241321#p241321

From my experience, it's almost completely accurate. Just two things:

Quote:
"the crowd" - APDA and NPDA tournaments are a very different crowd. APDA is almost exclusively Ivy League schools and semi-Ivys like William&Mary and Johns Hopkins, etc. The NPDA is almost exclusively small private schools and large state universities - the riff raff if you will

That's sort of true, and sort of not. Yale definitely dominates Club of the Year rankings. However, large state schools like Rutgers and Maryland always post good showings (I think Rutgers was top 5 last year -- beat out a bunch of Ivies).

Quote:
At an NPDA tournament, you'll get there, spend the night in a hotel, debate all day, and then go off with your team for dinner or whatever. At an APDA tournament, you'll sleep on the couch in the dorm room of one of the host debaters, debate all day, and then party at night. Tournaments always have a banquet and a party.

A significantly larger amount of alcohol is consumed at APDA tournaments than at NPDA tournaments. Let's just put it that way. Maybe that has something to do with PHC being in the NPDA, I don't know...

More alcohol may be consumed, but from my limited experience, you don't have to drink. I have quite a few friends on my team that don't drink, and while there are parties, it's not like they're mandatory (though that probably depends on the school you go to -- I've heard Middlebury kids rage hard ;)).

Also, some schools do pay for hotels. I think the main difference here is the budget size: since APDA clubs are often student-run, they don't always get the funding they need for hotels. It's the same reason many NCFCA families choose to host-house.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:01 pm 

Also, the thing I really liked about APDA was:

Luke wrote:
Most tournaments don't even bother with resolutions - the Prop team just runs a case and if the Opp thinks it's abusive, they argue that it's not debatable.

That's way more real world than being given a resolution thirty minutes in advance and researching it. In real life, if you're have a conversation with someone else, you don't get prep time. Same in APDA -- you walk into the room, shake hands, and the Gov starts speaking. Opp gets no prep time, before or during the round.

It sounds scary, but since you can't run the same case/resolution more than once a tournament, not all the cases are fleshed out... which means Opp often has an advantage (especially by outrounds, when many teams are out of cases).

It's all based on preference, though. I know a lot of ex-policy kids who hate the APDA style.

Which school are you looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 pm 

APDA is the 1%, NPDA is the 99%.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:43 pm 

baseballdebater wrote:
APDA is the 1%, NPDA is the 99%.

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA :lol: