homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:19 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hillsdale College
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:50 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
Anyone on here coming to Hillsdale next year? More importantly, anyone want to debate for the college? We have coffee.

EDIT:
A bit more info about the program:
1. Our NFA-LD team is ranked #5 in the nation*
2. At Western Kentucky and Webster we beat Truman St, the new reigning champions, in debate sweeps. At Webster we also beat Western Kentucky, the former champions.
3. We compete in NFA-LD, NPDA, and IPDA. We have won tournaments in all three. Multiple times this year we had people in the finals of all three at the same tournament.
4. We are the reigning Michigan State champions.
6. The debate team won 1st sweepstakes at Pi Kappa Delta in 2011, the last time the national convention and tournament was held.
7. We broke three people at NFA nats this year, all of whom won the double-octafinals. We set a new record this year, breaking a junior to quarterfinals.
8. The coach at Central Michigan, the #4 team in the nation, told me "I have never seen a debate program develop as fast as Hillsdale's."
9. The three returning students are considered to be three of the best debaters in the nation, and we have been given specific instructions to coach novices at the expense of winning early awards.
10. We have coffee. And creamer.

In short, Hillsdale is the best place to learn debate.

*The rankings are (based on sweeps at nationals):
1. Truman St. University
2. Western Kentucky University
3. Rice University
4. Central Michigan University
5. Hillsdale College
6. Drury University
7. Lafayette College
8. Nebraska-Lincoln
9. Emerson University
10. University of Utah

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

Last edited by LocutusofBorg on Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hillsdale College
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 pm 

I'm probably coming to Hillsdale. I haven't decided if I want to debate there yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm 

Masked Midnight wrote:
I'm 15 this year and I'm starting to look at some college possibilities (even though I've got some time ;) ). Hillsdale is my top prospect right now because I plan on studying PoliSci and becoming a Lawyer. I've also been told that Hillsdale's courses in these areas are recognized as some of the most notable in the Nation.

I would also try out for their baseball team (GO CHARGERS!)! :becool:

If I attended Hillsdale as a student, I would most certainly compete in debate. :)

My alum interviewer told me that Hillsdale's LSAT scores are the highest in Michigan. Granted, Michigan doesn't have a ton of schools, but that's still a noteworthy accomplishment. So yeah, I think it's fairly well recognized :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:34 pm 

andrewmin wrote:
Masked Midnight wrote:
I'm 15 this year and I'm starting to look at some college possibilities (even though I've got some time ;) ). Hillsdale is my top prospect right now because I plan on studying PoliSci and becoming a Lawyer. I've also been told that Hillsdale's courses in these areas are recognized as some of the most notable in the Nation.

I would also try out for their baseball team (GO CHARGERS!)! :becool:

If I attended Hillsdale as a student, I would most certainly compete in debate. :)

My alum interviewer told me that Hillsdale's LSAT scores are the highest in Michigan. Granted, Michigan doesn't have a ton of schools, but that's still a noteworthy accomplishment. So yeah, I think it's fairly well recognized :)

Considering that Michigan and Michigan State are both (surprise!) in Michigan, both of whom are pretty prestigous and recognized especially in the area of law, yeah, that's pretty impressive. MU, MSU, and Hillsdale are definitely the top three schools in Michigan.

And yes, Hillsdale's courses in poli sci (although they changed the name of the program to "politics"....long and rather pointless story) are recognized as being pretty legit. This semester I'm taking a junior level politics course on the ancient greek city taught by Dr. Paul Rahe. Dr. Rahe's doctorite thesis was on Sparta, he's just now finishing up a book on the subject, and he has lectured all over the world, including at the University of Tel Aviv, on the subject. Last semester I had him for American Heritage...which tied in nicely to his latest book, Soft Tyranny: Democracy's Slow Drift. That caliber of professor is not unusual at Hillsdale. Oh, and he knows all of his students by name and love to talk to them during office hours....especially if you bring him scotch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hillsdale is solid - among conservative schools, it has one of the best academic reputations - especially in politics/philosophy. I know quite a few people who have gone there and they all strongly recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:17 pm 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
Anyone on here coming to Hillsdale next year? More importantly, anyone want to debate for the college? We have coffee.

EDIT:
1. We are ranked in the top 50 in the nation
2. At both Creighton University and the Gorlock Gala we beat Western Kentucky, the #1 NFA-LD school in the nation, in sweepstakes
3. Our novices won every JV and novice NFA-LD tournament this year. At every novice or JV parli tournament but one we had a team at least in semifinals.
4. Our novices regularly break in open NPDA and NFA-LD.
5. We compete in NFA-LD, NPDA, and IPDA. We have won tournaments in all three.
6. The debate team won 1st sweepstakes at Pi Kappa Delta, the oldest collegiate debate league in the nation. The speech team won 7. th IE sweepstakes. Hillsdale took 3rd overall, after Boise St. University and Wiley College.
8. In our first year of focusing on LD, we broke two people at NFA nats, one of which was a freshman
9. Hillsdale freshman compete with the best debaters in the nation on a regular basis and often win or almost win. They rarely get destroyed (happened to me once though)

My cousin graduated from Hillsdale two years ago and says that I would love it. Does Hillsdale have a moot court team?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:02 am 

conservativesrock wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:

EDIT:
2. At both Creighton University and the Gorlock Gala we beat Western Kentucky, the #1 NFA-LD school in the nation, in sweepstakes
3. Our novices won every JV and novice NFA-LD tournament this year. At every novice or JV parli tournament but one we had a team at least in semifinals.
6. The debate team won 1st sweepstakes at Pi Kappa Delta, the oldest collegiate debate league in the nation. The speech team won 7. th IE sweepstakes. Hillsdale took 3rd overall, after Boise St. University and Wiley College.
8. In our first year of focusing on LD, we broke two people at NFA nats, one of which was a freshman
9. Hillsdale freshman compete with the best debaters in the nation on a regular basis and often win or almost win. They rarely get destroyed (happened to me once though)

My cousin graduated from Hillsdale two years ago and says that I would love it. Does Hillsdale have a moot court team?

No. In the realm of forensics we have speech (AFA, NFA), debate (NFA, NPDA, IPDA), and Mock Trial. To my knowledge there are no plans to start a Moot Court team anytime soon.

Last edited by LocutusofBorg on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:06 am 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
conservativesrock wrote:
LocutusofBorg wrote:

EDIT:

No. In the realm of forensics we have speech (AFA), debate (NFA, NPDA, IPDA), and Mock Trial. To my knowledge there are no plans to start a Moot Court team anytime soon.

Bummer. But I really do like Hillsdale. It is on the top of my list of schools. How is your mock trial? Time wise, how much do you put in on the side for debate? My cousin loved the school and I have heard nothing but good reviews from it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 pm 

I don't know much about the Mock Trial program. It started this year, went to one tournament, went 4-4, qualified for regionals, and won Best Emerging Program. After that, I have nooooooo idea.

Debate is honestly what you make it in terms of time commitment. For the national circuit, its two practice parli rounds a week (we rarely do LD practice rounds, even though LD is our focus), research as needed/wanted (which is a lot), a tournament or two every month, and speed drills.
For regional circuit, which travels to Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan, its one parli round a week, read the news, shell parli cases/DAs, and speed drills.

That's all what next year's requirements are on paper. Reality might be something different. We'll have to see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 am 

I'm not sure if anyone will see this, but....

Move-in day is on Sunday! On either Monday or Tuesday (not sure which) is the Source. Even if you don't want to debate, come and see all the opportunities there. The debate and forensics teams will be sharing a table with a sign-up sheet. From what I've heard, myself, senior Steven Davis (debate team manager) and junior Amanda Lack (forensics team manager) will be at the table.

If you sign up, there is no commitment. All it means is that you will receive an email about an informational meeting that happens a couple days later. At the meeting, Dr. Branden, the Director of Forensics, goes over the vision of the team, where we stand in the national rankings, expectations if you should join, and introduces Dr. Doggett (debate coach), Professor Brandon (forensics coach), and the scholarship members (on the debate team, one senior, two juniors, three sophomores). If you're at all interested, please come!

Also, if admissions randomly signed you up for debate (that's how two of the scholarship sophomores found out about it), it might be a good idea to come to come....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

I'm 15, and seriously considering Hillsdale.

I'm curious about ya'll's economics program. Have you had any classes with that dept.? If so, how would you rate the experience?

And, I would DEFINITELY do debate :)

SDG.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm 

I've taken three classes in econ, with three different professors. One of them left last year...sadly he was my favorite one.
The econ department is really good. They know their econ extremely well and are really good teachers. I disagree with the head of the poli econ department on a lot of philosophical issues, but the man knows his econ. However, I would also suggest minoring or majoring in math if you're going to be an econ major. That will make it easier to go to grad school in econ.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

LocutusofBorg wrote:
I've taken three classes in econ, with three different professors. One of them left last year...sadly he was my favorite one.
The econ department is really good. They know their econ extremely well and are really good teachers. I disagree with the head of the poli econ department on a lot of philosophical issues, but the man knows his econ. However, I would also suggest minoring or majoring in math if you're going to be an econ major. That will make it easier to go to grad school in econ.

That's really cool :) What does the Poli Econ prof believe (Not that it's a huge deal, just curious.)

Hmm, what if I'm not going to a graduate school? I hate math, so...just checking if it's vital.

SDG.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 am 

*bumped* and the OP has been updated.

Who all is coming to Hillsdale this year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 am 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
*bumped* and the OP has been updated.

Who all is coming to Hillsdale this year?

I am thinking about applying to come next year.

What kind of scholarship/aid do you know about? There was not much info on the website.

My soul thirsts for you oh Lord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:49 am 

I'll be applying to Hillsdale soon. I definitely want to attend. I'm not sure if I'd like to debate yet, but if scholarships were involved, that would definitely help that decision. Basically, it's something I'll be looking in to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 am 

Since both of you asked the same question, I'll respond to both of you at once.

I honestly don't know about financial aid as a whole. I have three scholarships: Grewcock, Hale, and need-based. Only Nebraskans are eligible for Grewcock, so I'm assuming neither of you can get that. You receive some need-based as a freshman, but it will go up the longer you're at Hillsdale.

The Hale (debate) scholarship is a bit dicey. I have a $3,000 scholarship for my senior year. They're usually about $2500, but they change based on how many students receive them and how much budget we have left over. By the time you two get to Hillsdale, I have no idea what the situation will be.

Hillsdale mostly has a policy of not giving out debate scholarships to freshman. If you are an outstanding debater (place really highly at NCFCA and/or Stoa nats), there is a possibility of giving out a shcolarship (albeit a small one). However, that is rare. It is especially rare for NCFCA/Stoa debaters to receive a freshman scholarship (long story why). So basically, don't bet on a debate scholarship until your sophomore year, for everything else call the college.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 pm 

I definitely want to do college debate and want to go to Hillsdale as well, I think it's a great college and has a great debate team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 pm 
Cupcake

My girlfriend and her sister both go to Hillsdale. Elizabeth is only a freshman this year, but Caroline is a sophomore and I think she really enjoyed last year. I'm going to be applying there this year and I think I might debate in college, but I have no first choices in where I want to go.

Bryan, do you know if there is more possibility of scholarships for NFL competitors or National Mock Trial Association competitors who have done well in the respective leagues?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:40 pm 

To be blunt, in terms of scholarships, Mock Trial experience will get you nothing as a freshman. Hillsdale has a separate Mock Trial team, but they don't have scholarships.

Here's the thing with giving scholarships to freshmen:
We don't really give them to NCFCAers because they are a risk. NCFCA/Stoa have a very different style and philosophy of debate, and very few former NCFCAers excel in NFA. Patrick Shipsey and I are the only two I know of east of the Rockies.
If you do well in NFL, then you may have a chance for a scholarship. We're giving a scholarship to a freshman who finished in the top 50 at NFL nats, but that is largely because she has insane credentials. As in, she was offered a massive debate scholarship from Western Kentucky, the #1 NFA school in the nation, so we know she's not really a risk. However, if you do very well in NFL, and if we have the budget for it, then you may be able to get a scholarship. But don't count on it. Traditionally, only sophomores get them.

Last edited by LocutusofBorg on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.