homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
So I know that many speech and debaters want to go into politics. So here is the question----

What do you want to do in politics (i.e. policy analyzer, politician , Political Aid )

cannot wait to here your answers!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 am 

If I go into Politics, I think I'd like to go in as a political theorist or analyst.

If people can quote me in debate rounds, I think I'd be happy.

I used to think I'd like to be a politician, but I don't think I'd have the courage or the fortitude for that.

Delta_FC

Dawn wrote:
Josh R

Yes?
+X wrote:
Hm. Eminem/MNM would mean Delta F_C... oF course

Join the epidemic
Variola Eradication, Geneva, May 2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:33 am 

Location: Somewhere between my pillow, a sports venue, the piano, and my debate files
I've considered a career in policy analysis if pure law does not work out. ;) I also think that being the chief-of-staff for a representative would be one of the best jobs in the world!! We'll see where I end up. I'll almost definitely be somewhere in the governmental area of things though.

- Amazing Grace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:49 am 
Doesn't have a title.

I used to want to go into politics or law until my mom brought me to my senses. :) Not that there's anything wrong with politics as a field for me, just that there's something wrong with me as an expert on politics. I'm made for scientific research.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 pm 

I'm almost certainly going into politics in one form or another. It's what I've wanted to do since I was 8. :)

It would be very interesting to be an analyst but I think I'd rather be directly involved in the shaping of policies (i.e. one of those unfortunate persons called candidates).

O God, grant what Thou dost command, and command what Thou wilt -- Augustine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 pm 

This depends on a few factors which I'm not going to go into, but I'm planning to work at the state capitol in Lincoln after graduation. Then, Lord willing, become a state representative from my home district and eventually a US Congressman and/or Senator

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 pm 
Kenya debate as good as me?

Wilberforce wrote:
I'm almost certainly going into politics in one form or another. It's what I've wanted to do since I was 8. :)

It would be very interesting to be an analyst but I think I'd rather be directly involved in the shaping of policies (i.e. one of those unfortunate persons called candidates).

What he said!

Beat ya! I wanted to since I was 7 lol!

SDG.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:50 pm 

Delta_FC wrote:
If I go into Politics, I think I'd like to go in as a political theorist or analyst.

If people can quote me in debate rounds, I think I'd be happy.

I used to think I'd like to be a politician, but I don't think I'd have the courage or the fortitude for that.

Delta_FC

This is basically my goal too. Become someone credible then say wacky things on my blog about policy so debaters can use it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 pm 
The Great White Sharc

"These numerous and important evils he does not consider sins; for the wise judge does these things, not with any intention of doing harm, but because his ignorance compels him, and because human society claims him as a judge. But though we therefore acquit the judge of malice, we must none the less condemn human life as miserable. And if he is compelled to torture and punish the innocent because his office and his ignorance constrain him, is he a happy as well as a guiltless man? Surely it were proof of more profound considerateness and finer feeling were he to recognize the misery of these necessities, and shrink from his own implication in that misery; and had he any piety about him, he would cry to God "From my necessities deliver Thou me!" --St. Augustine.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:01 am 
T-Rothasaurus

Flash of light wrote:
This is basically my goal too. Become someone credible then say wacky things on my blog about policy so debaters can use it. :P

I am greatly saddened by the realization that I won't get to use any of this evidence. :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:14 am 

David Roth wrote:
Flash of light wrote:

I am greatly saddened by the realization that I won't get to use any of this evidence. :(

your kids will ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 am 
Evil Democrat

If I go into any type of government job, it'll be the GAO. No question about it.

Policy analysis or politics in general is my backup if appellate court law doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 am 

Well here is my plan. I want to go to law school and run for state house here is Florida. Next stop is the Capitol of Florida to be Governor and after that the senate. I have had people tell me I should run for President(who knows). I have interested in politics since I was 5. I am good friends with the future speaker of the Florida House and future President Will Weatherford. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
conservativesrock wrote:
Well here is my plan. I want to go to law school and run for state house here is Florida. Next stop is the Capitol of Florida to be Governor and after that the senate. I have had people tell me I should run for President(who knows). I have interested in politics since I was 5. I am good friends with the future speaker of the Florida House and future President Will Weatherford. :D

I would recommend going for state Senator before governor.... state reps are pretty low on the totem poll to turn around and go for governor. Plus, the transition to the Senate isn't that hard, and you'll have a much larger voter base.

If you can go straight for state Senator, that would be ideal, but the chances are unlikely.

State rep is definitely a good place to start, though, especially if you have connections to the current state rep.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 am 
titles are too mainstream.

I'm going to be a "career politician."

Nah, not really. I used to want to be a politician. Mainly cause I thought that was the way to change the world.

I'll probably run for mayor someday or something. I would never want to go to school for anything political or law related though. (although I did once want to be a lawyer as well. That was before I heard my first lawyer joke.)

It'd be fun to be some sort of analyst that gets to spout their opinion on TV.

It's also been a dream of mine to be a write-in candidate for president and win (or at least come close).

David Roth wrote:
you make my life hell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:33 am 

Gold Water's Ghost wrote:
Wilberforce wrote:

What he said!

Beat ya! I wanted to since I was 7 lol!

Beat ya both!!

My sister and I used to hold political meetings when I was 5!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:28 am 
Tsarcastic

Life is politics.

That being said (as a vocation), no. It's too vacuous.

~IM_R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:01 am 
JV the Epic

Those of us who are going into politics, lets not lose contact with each other. We will probably benefit from keeping in touch. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:17 pm 

Home Schooled: No
One of my Communication majors (and team members) wants a career in politics. Just this week, I managed to track down an old acquaintance, and former NDT champion, who's now a career political consultant. Here's the advice he gave me to pass along to my student.

To begin with, he recommended this book. Then, he said,

"1. There is no substitute for working on a campaign - in every capacity. The best operatives and candidates all started out working on a campaign for free. The work long hours they do thankless tasks. If your student is ever in a position to run for office or even work in a senior position on a campaign it is invaluable to know first hand what the hundreds of volunteers and junior staffers do on a day in day out basis. Not only that, but it will help him know what his campaign staff should be doing so he can be a more effective candidate.

"2. Assuming he wants to run for office he needs to learn about his home town, county, city, state, whatever. Everyone thinks they know their hometown very well. They don't. Study the census, know what employers are there, learn about every infrastructure project, every nook and cranny of the budget, every community leader, class size by district, etc. etc. You can never know too much.

"3. Befriend the reporters, editors and publishers of the newspapers. There is no more subjective process than the process by which items are chosen for newspapers. If people like you they won't write bad things - if they don't know you they won't care if they ruin your life. It is much much easier to establish those relationships early on when you have very little to gain. Once you are a candidate journalists develop a very healthy skepticism of your overtures."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:03 pm 
The Great White Sharc

I honestly don't understand why someone would be excited about going into politics. It's a cesspool of dishonesty, vacuousness, and evil.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.