homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Goal Criterion cases
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:22 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I am new to doing Goal Criterion cases. How would you guys say that they should be run?
thanks

Post subject: Re: Goal Criterion cases
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:25 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
All you do is add a criterion saying what should and shouldn't be considered.

And then you focus all of your arguments around that.

But in general, I would not run one-- it limits the debate round unfairly to the negative, and a sharp negative will kill it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:30 am 
A bribe? A BRIBE? Psh. Try again.

Location: My avatar is best appreciated in a new window. Yeah... Joseph? :P
Anthony speaks words of truth.

Plus. If you are running your CFL's case still... don't use goals criterion. A comp ad or Justifications style case would work much better.

¶█╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬0=0█|]{████████████████████████████████████████████)

FRANK wrote:
No, don't call him plumpy'man, call him
McSqueak/Pipsey
or McFreak/Tipsey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:35 am 

Only in LD ;)

[Seriously now] If you're going to run one, have a reason for your goal/criterion, and be willing to defend it, rather than just accepting net-benefits when the negative offers it as a counter criterion. If you can do that, the structure provides you with a solid foundation for impact calculus, and a means to turn it in your favor. If you're doing it hoping that people will miss it, and then you can bring it up in the rebuttals to spike out of DA's, well, forget it.

If you're going neg against one, either see if you have disads that turn the criterion against the aff, or propose a counter-criterion that better matches your DA's. Of course, you're going to have to defend that, too. Or you could just take the simple approach and argue that net-benefits is the fairest way to weigh the round. (Personally, I'd like to see goal/criterion clash in policy debate sometimes, but I understand that most people aren't willing to do it. Oh well.)

(BTW, doesn't this fit better in debate strategy?)

~G.K. Chesteron, Heretics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 am 

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Joshua speaks words of truth :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 pm 

I would definitely run a comp ad case over a goals criterion case.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm 

randomboy96 wrote:
I would definitely run a comp ad case over a goals criterion case.

But, of course, sometimes comp/ad doesn't really work. One of my students sent me a case as a comp/ad and my first comment was to make it a g/c. It didn't work as a comp/ad, since it was ideologically driven.

However, in general, comp/ad is preferrable. It's easier to win, since you don't actually have to solve anything.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:43 pm 
Ok, maybe not the ONLY homeschooler.

DB8R0X wrote:
Anthony speaks words of truth.

Plus. If you are running your CFL's case still... don't use goals criterion. A comp ad or Justifications style case would work much better.

Justifications stlye pwns. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

thehomeschooler wrote:
Like this?

Intro
Background/Inherency
Plan
Justification 1
Justification 2
Justification 3
Justification 4
etc.

It pwns. Just sayin. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:04 pm 
The Great White Sharc

That's not really a style of case, it's just removing debate terminology.

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm 

Location: Is that really any of your business? Why else do you need to know?
Uggh. I can't stand goals/criterion. I like the basic harms/advs case. Under a parametric view, a g/c case could be non T but claimed to be T. Do you all track?

Mark 8:36
Region IX ROX!

God's Gorgeous Princess

lucky13 wrote:
boys are gross!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 pm 

Location: The state of maryland, and sometimes the state of confusion.
No. :P Please explain. Why could a g/c be non-T? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 pm 
T-Rothasaurus

EliasG. wrote:

You run a goal of "Improved Public Health" (a non-topical goal) with a case of Repealing the Grandfathering loophole. (An apparently topical case) but you don't have to have to win any of your Environmental arguments to win the round. (I think that's what she's talking about)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:36 pm 

And... what's the problem? It's an environmental policy and that's what the affirmative team is supposed be reforming. I really don't see the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm 
Doesn't have a title.

A goal isn't topical or non-topical; the plan text itself is topical or non-topical.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 pm 

David Roth wrote:
EliasG. wrote:

You run a goal of "Improved Public Health" (a non-topical goal) with a case of Repealing the Grandfathering loophole. (An apparently topical case) but you don't have to have to win any of your Environmental arguments to win the round. (I think that's what she's talking about)

Yesh, that's what I was saying.

Halogen wrote:
A goal isn't topical or non-topical; the plan text itself is topical or non-topical.

I know that. You can have a goal that makes the case topical when it isn't.

Region IX ROX!

God's Gorgeous Princess

lucky13 wrote:
boys are gross!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:44 pm 

run_with_God wrote:
I know that. You can have a goal that makes the case topical when it isn't.

Um... no? Can you please give an example?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:15 pm 

Halogen wrote:
thehomeschooler wrote:
Like this?

Intro
Background/Inherency
Plan
Justification 1
Justification 2
Justification 3
Justification 4
etc.

Yup. That's how I write my 1ACs now :) (unless it really doesn't work). It works amazingly well for the PNTR/Jackson-Vanik Graduation case :D

013 wrote:

Actually, it's different in how it groups harms and solvency together. It basically does harm 1, then harm 1 solvency, then harm 2, then harm 2 solvency, etc. At least, that's what it usually does. I've heard some judges say that it's also a little easier to understand/follow :)

David Roth wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with Topicality. I hate it when people say your advantages/justifications have to deal with the resolution -- rather than your plan text. I lost a round on that (which decided whether I broke at regionals), and it really ticked me off.

Just to clarify something: WHATEVER YOU DISCUSS IN THE ROUND (as aff) DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE RESOLUTION. The actual plan text is the only thing that has to fall under the rez. Why? Because rez states that aff must affirm that X must do Y. Once you do that (in the plan text), you are topical, and your reasons for X doing Y can be anything you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 am 

thehomeschooler wrote:
Halogen wrote:
thehomeschooler wrote:
Like this?

Intro
Background/Inherency
Plan
Justification 1
Justification 2
Justification 3
Justification 4
etc.

Yup. That's how I write my 1ACs now :) (unless it really doesn't work). It works amazingly well for the PNTR/Jackson-Vanik Graduation case :D

013 wrote:

Actually, it's different in how it groups harms and solvency together. It basically does harm 1, then harm 1 solvency, then harm 2, then harm 2 solvency, etc. At least, that's what it usually does. I've heard some judges say that it's also a little easier to understand/follow :)

David Roth wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with Topicality. I hate it when people say your advantages/justifications have to deal with the resolution -- rather than your plan text. I lost a round on that (which decided whether I broke at regionals), and it really ticked me off.

Just to clarify something: WHATEVER YOU DISCUSS IN THE ROUND (as aff) DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE RESOLUTION. The actual plan text is the only thing that has to fall under the rez. Why? Because rez states that aff must affirm that X must do Y. Once you do that (in the plan text), you are topical, and your reasons for X doing Y can be anything you want.

The problem with a justifications case is that it's not completely laid out well. It seems very piecemeal. We formatted our case as a justifications and we did better with the harms/advs. It naturally makes more sense in the judge's mind than a justifications. It's easier for neg to refute justifications cases.

Region IX ROX!

God's Gorgeous Princess

lucky13 wrote:
boys are gross!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:36 am 

run_with_God wrote:
The problem with a justifications case is that it's not completely laid out well. It seems very piecemeal. We formatted our case as a justifications and we did better with the harms/advs. It naturally makes more sense in the judge's mind than a justifications.

I would beg to differ on that point. You can keep the judge captivated by quickly presenting the background and the plan, and then answer the questions that pop into his/her head by giving him/her reasons to adopt that plan. In my opinion, it's a lot more simple -- which makes it even easier for a judge to understand. There are just a ton of reasons to prefer a good justification-format case. Granted, not all cases work with this format, but for the ones that do it works really well.

::EDIT:: In addition, I think justification style is more logical. Think of it this way: In the background section, it presents the current system, and the failure with that system (while not going into a lot of detail on the impacts of the failure). Next, it presents a plan to address the failure. Then, it justifies the plan. If the justifications are laid out well, the case flows very logically -- and the justifications can be used to spike out/turn negative arguments. At the end, the judge has the whole picture laid out very nicely.

run_with_God wrote:
It's easier for neg to refute justifications cases.

Mmmmm, possibly. That may be because they're simpler. However, justification cases are easier to defend as well. They keep the round narrow and focused -- which makes points easy to address. Take it from someone who debated a justification-style case all year and only lost one aff (with the partner he went to nats with).

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next