homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
I know there is already a thread on extra-T, but I have a more specific question. I understand the premise of severance, but what are some ways you could phrase that? Is it better to actually try and have both teams actually sever those mandates, or should you handle it more hypothetically by saying that the implication is that they can't have those mandates so their plan doesn't have solvency?

NCFCA Alumnus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:35 am 
Doesn't have a title.

"Because mandate 1 is non-topical, by voting affirmative, you only vote for mandate 2.

Mandate 2 links to the DAs even if mandate #1 does not happen, but both mandates need to happen to link to the advantages.

Vote against mandate 2 because it does more harm than good."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:10 am 

Location: I'm not lost! I'm locationally challenged. -John M. Ford
If you vote aff, you vote for the resolution. Mandate 1 is not under the resolution, ergo, when you vote aff, you do not vote for mandate 1.

Of course, don't use this when running parametrics.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:47 pm 

Sharkfin wrote:
If you vote aff, you vote for the resolution. Mandate 1 is not under the resolution, ergo, when you vote aff, you do not vote for mandate 1.

Of course, don't use this when running parametrics.

Assuming you're using parametrics to run a topical CP, you can still say X-T is bad and you should drop the aff on it.

The four I like to use are:
1) Ground. X-T explodes neg research ground, taking away predictability, clash, and education. The aff can run literally anything.
2) Abuse. The aff can claim advs or no-link DAs using X-T parts of the plan. That moots 1NC or 2NC strategy, skewing the neg out of the round.
3) Solvency. Severing out of an X-T mandate creates a terminal solvency deficit, meaning they lose after severance anyways.
4) Severance bad. The aff shifts their advocacy from the first and second speaches, mooting the 1NC and skewing the neg out of round.
5) Resolution. By having to step outside the resolution in order to access solvency or advs, they prove the res insufficient. Your ballot uphold the resolution, but when the aff affirms a different resolution you have no reason to affirm.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 pm 

It looks to me that Locutus articulates xt well, but that it doesn't answer OP's question - and this makes me realize that, the question is about forcing AFF to severance perm the T-press?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:29 am 

Only the parts of the case that actually justify the resolution should be considered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:21 am 

willmalson wrote:
It looks to me that Locutus articulates xt well, but that it doesn't answer OP's question - and this makes me realize that, the question is about forcing AFF to severance perm the T-press?

My bad. I got distracted.

I think the best way to articulate it is theoretically. Honestly iff they didn't garner solvency from it, the aff probably wouldn't have the x-t mandates anyways, meaning they'll never agree to sever. Come to think of it, I've never seen a team say "Ok, we'll sever out of that part of the plan."

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm 

LocutusofBorg wrote:
willmalson wrote:

My bad. I got distracted.

I think the best way to articulate it is theoretically. Honestly iff they didn't garner solvency from it, the aff probably wouldn't have the x-t mandates anyways, meaning they'll never agree to sever. Come to think of it, I've never seen a team say "Ok, we'll sever out of that part of the plan."

That's what I mean; the judge votes to pass the plan or not, they don't say "I'll vote for mandate 1 but not 2." The only way they can do that is if Aff perms that way, which people...don't really do. Am I missing something about the question?