homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Inherency: What is it?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:46 pm 

Home Schooled: Yes
I decided to make this thread after re-reading the following Ethos blog article: http://www.ethosdebate.com/2008/10/what ... sed-to-be/

For a long time, I (like the author of the article) have had people tell me that inherency is "Whether or not your plan has been passed yet, or whether or not it's likely to be passed." I always thought that was a shallow, insufficient description, and for a while I figured a better one would be to ask "Is there a need for the aff fiat, or will the effects of the plan be achieved by the SQuo?" because if there's no need for the aff fiat, you might as well not even be debating anything. It's an exercise in futility to debate things that are inevitable.

But this article redefines Inherency to match what it used to be in the debate world - asking the question "What is the root cause of this problem? What is it about this problem that resists solution?" If there is no deep root cause to the problem that is not currently being addressed, then the negative wins the Inherency argument - the aff plan is not addressing the problem with the right approach. In case you don't want to read the article, Dr. Srader explains it this way:

Quote:
Think of going to see a doctor. You tell the doctor that you have a headache that hasn’t gone away for six months. The doctor says “Have you tried aspirin?” Yes, you have. “Have you tried Tylenol?” Yes, you have. “Advil?” Yes. “Aleve?” Yes. “Oxycontin?” No, you haven’t tried Oxycontin. “Well, there you go!” says the doctor, and writes out a prescription for Oxycontin. “We’ve found a plan that hasn’t been adopted yet, so Oxycontin it is.”

Inherency is asking why the problem has persisted through these external solutions. If the aff proves that there is a problem in the status quo that is resisting solution and that needs a plan to solve it, then they have won Inherency.

Discuss?

Oh well. College student at Liberty University now. Not debating. But still hanging around.

Last edited by ImagoDei on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Inherency is the most important of the three "weighing" stock issues. It's defining the status quo and showing how the status quo is better than the affirmative plan. You show that the status quo has amazing solutions to these so called "harms" and you show that the status quo has advantages that the affirmative can't possibly get. I remember last year three tournaments into the year my partner and I were 14-4 on negative. We'd won 12 of those 14 rounds at least partially on inherency. It's a winning strategy to show:

a. (1N) The Status Quo is solving any harms that the aff claims
b. The Status Quo has advantages the aff plan won't have
c. So the Status Quo is a good solution
d. (2N) The Aff plan messes up certain D/A's
e. So not only do we lose the good status quo, but we get all of the problems I've talked about in my speech

A team who understands inherency is a team who understands the point of debate: the real world. When you can properly use Inherency, it will turn into your biggest weapon.

;) <3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 pm 
Bumble! Bumble!

Inherency is not just whether or not your plan has been passed. It encompasses the entire status quo; the way I explained it to my debaters is that under inherency (as aff) you should show that there is a problem, why there is a problem, what the solution to that problem is, and why that solution won't occur without your plan.

Whether or not your plan has been passed falls under inherency, but it is not inherency as a whole. Saying, "Inherency is whether or not your plan has been passed or will be passed without you," is a part-to-whole fallacy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:38 am 

A disadvantage is not Inherency, 13.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 am 

Kramer wrote:

Inherency is involved in a Disadvantage, but it's called Uniqueness, not inherency.

Verve, WA
G. Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:39 am 

Sure. But in that case, it is a feature of inherency being incorporated into the DA. It does not make the DA part of the stock issue of inherency.

DA's are weighed under significance and/or solvency.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:49 am 
T-Rothasaurus

Inherency deals with what exists, not with whether or not what exists is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 am 

I would like to state that the stock issues as a judging paradigm annoys me. Net benefits ftw.
/pet peeve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:53 am 
T-Rothasaurus

Flash of light wrote:
I would like to state that the stock issues as a judging paradigm annoys me. Net benefits ftw.
/pet peeve

You need both.
Net Benefits is whether it's a good idea.
Stock issues is whether it's a good (as in well constructed) policy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:48 am 

Kramer wrote:
Sure. But in that case, it is a feature of inherency being incorporated into the DA. It does not make the DA part of the stock issue of inherency.

well no duh :D

Verve, WA
G. Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:46 am 

Kramer wrote:
A common misconception. Inherency establishes the status quo. If you show that the status quo is good, and then contrast that with the aff plan being bad, it shows a net loss to voting affirmative.

If you're running novice Inherency "the aff plan has already been passed" then it totally contradicts D/A's. However, running Inherency correctly directly correlates to D/A's. Significance and Solvency also relate to D/A's, but establishing the status quo as a positive reason to vote negative and then contrasting that with the D/A's of the affirmative plan almost always warrants a negative ballot.

;) <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 am 

lucky13 wrote:
Kramer wrote:
A common misconception. Inherency establishes the status quo. If you show that the status quo is good, and then contrast that with the aff plan being bad, it shows a net loss to voting affirmative.

If you're running novice Inherency "the aff plan has already been passed" then it totally contradicts D/A's. However, running Inherency correctly directly correlates to D/A's. Significance and Solvency also relate to D/A's, but establishing the status quo as a positive reason to vote negative and then contrasting that with the D/A's of the affirmative plan almost always warrants a negative ballot.

Your argument does not seem to refute his statement. His statement was that DA's are not Inherency. Yours states that DA's work with Inherency.

Working with=/=the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:57 am 

lucky13 wrote:
Kramer wrote:

DAs don't contradict inherency in the form that you claim is novice. It's different lines of argumentation: first, you argue that the plan passed. Second, you argue that IF THIS WEREN'T TRUE, the plan the aff is proposing is worse than the aff's status quo. In other words, the government passed the plan, and it's unfortunate they did, because the plan was a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 am 

DebateRus wrote:
lucky13 wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Your argument does not seem to refute his statement. His statement was that DA's are not Inherency. Yours states that DA's work with Inherency.

Working with=/=the same.
In that case it was his mistake in the first place. I never claimed that they are the same thing.

@Min: It's acceptable, but it's not real world. There are different lines of thinking on this, but I always tried to make my arguments something that actually applied to the world. In the real world you wouldn't say: "actually the healthcare bill solves the problems of a bad healthcare system, but IF THIS WEREN'T TRUE, the healthcare bill is worse than the status quo." That's a total contradiction. If you argue inherency and say: "this IS the case" then you need to stand by that. When you say what has passed and what has not, you're defining the status quo. It's a total cop out to do otherwise. Even when you say: "it's unfortunate they did, because the plan was a bad idea" you still should lose (or at least tie) because you've just said that the status quo sucks. At the end of the day the question is: "should the government adopt the resolution?" If the future system is better than the current one, then the answer is yes. So an aff says that we need to change, and a negative says not too. When a negative says that the current system sucks, that totally kills their own ground.

;) <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm 

Quote:
In the real world you wouldn't say: "actually the healthcare bill solves the problems of a bad healthcare system, but IF THIS WEREN'T TRUE, the healthcare bill is worse than the status quo."

That's not the inherency you were talking about. In the real world, if someone proposed an individual mandate, you WOULD say "actually we already have an individual mandate, but even if this weren't true, the individual mandate is a bad idea."

Quote:
Even when you say: "it's unfortunate they did, because the plan was a bad idea" you still should lose (or at least tie) because you've just said that the status quo sucks.

That doesn't mean the aff wins. Aff has the burden to prove that they make the world better than the SQ.

Quote:
So an aff says that we need to change, and a negative says not too. When a negative says that the current system sucks, that totally kills their own ground.

Aff's change has to be BETTER than the SQ.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm 

Kramer wrote:

In what world are DA's weighed under solvency??

In plan english, it's about cause and effect.

Inherency (cause) --> Impact (harm/significance)

Plan (cause) --> Impact (advantage/significance or disadvantage/significance)

Everyone is familiar with arguments of impact vs. impact, but teaching to think through causality (as the inherency post teaches) improves the discussion of how externalities, other events, attitudes, etc relate to causes of things, which therefore provides a more nuanced view of the impact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 pm 

I personally weigh them under significance at all times, but some people put them under Solvency. I suppose the thinking is that solvency refers to all outcome scenarios of the plan. I personally agree with you; but some people would differ. It really just shows how broken the Stock Issue paradigm is.

And there is no scenario under which a DA is Inherency. Ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:47 pm 

lucky13 wrote:
DebateRus wrote:
lucky13 wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Working with=/=the same.
In that case it was his mistake in the first place. I never claimed that they are the same thing.

When a negative says that the current system sucks, that totally kills their own ground.

That's not entirely true. What you say is, "Look, the plan has already happened. It's in the status quo right now. However, let's assume that it hasn't been done, and let's look at why it would be a bad idea."

If Aff says "you just killed your own ground," you say this:

1) The debate is about whether or not the Affirmative plan should be passed. If it has tried and failed miserably in the United States, the Aff plan should not be passed.
2) 2 plans that fail miserably is worse than 1 plan that fails miserably, so Neg still has the net benefit here
3) You lose Inherency, you lose the round. It doesn't matter how much the plan sucks - if it's in place right now in the United States, you lose.

Verve, WA
G. Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 pm 

Home Schooled: No
Actually, these days old school inherency has the most in common with kritik debates. If you say "The affirmative is addressing a symptom, not the root cause; they're whitewashing a flawed system with their stopgap solution, but the problem will reappear in another form," people would think you were running a K. But go back a generation, and that was a typical inherency debate.

It did bleed over into solvency as well, but back then, judges expected that solvency and inherency would have a very tight connection: the plan had to be narrowly tailored to address the root cause identified in the affirmative's inherency arguments, the same way a doctor has to be able to explain how the prescription is tailored to the diagnosis.

The kritik comparison isn't original with me, by the way: when the University of Texas debaters first sprang kritiks on the policy debate world, back in the early nineties, they tried to beat back arguments that the argument was nihilist and excessively radical by pointing out how perfectly it fit the profile of old stock issues debates.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 am 

DA's aren't inherency.

A DA is saying that something bad happens which is either not currently happening (brink), or happens worse under the plan than it does under the status quo (linear).

Just because a DA has a part dealing with what currently happens in the status quo doesn't mean it's inherency. That's called uniqueness, and is completely different.

Smith/Smith (2009-2010)
Smith/Smith (2010-2011)
Smith/Smith (2011-2012)
Johnson/Smith (2012-2013)