homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:12 pm
Posts: 185
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: R5
With blogs being so easy to create (with no way to verify if its true or not) and debaters being able to make them themselves. Can a debater get evidence from them? What are your thoughts? Should a Judge discard them?

_________________
"There are no such thing as losers, just winners and people who aren't them."


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 am 
Offline
Doesn't have a title.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:47 pm
Posts: 2955
Home Schooled: Yes
The best way to handle blogs is just as with any other potential sources of cards. If you really have a problem with a card, then explain where exactly the author errs and present something contradictory. For example, if your opponents cite a blog as a source of some kind of scientific information, then you need to show the judge that the information originally appeared in the blog (I have no idea how you would do that), explain why peer review makes information more credible, and present contradictory information that is more credible.

This is why the most important part of a citation is almost always the author, not the publication (unless the author is not given).

_________________
Jordan Bakke


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm
Posts: 2441
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Omaha, NE
Zeo12 wrote:
With blogs being so easy to create (with no way to verify if its true or not) and debaters being able to make them themselves. Can a debater get evidence from them? What are your thoughts? Should a Judge discard them?

Also it depends on the blog. My senior year (India) our 1AC had a citation from a blog, but it was a blog written a PhD candidate in the exact field she was writing about. So that's pretty legit.

You probably don't want to cite blogs like Gus's Conservative Soapbox of the New Revolution, though.

_________________
-Bryan
Co-Founder of Olympus Forensics

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:33 pm 
Offline
Laugh, or I will kill you
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm
Posts: 2492
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: College in San Diego Baby!
Zeo12 wrote:
With blogs being so easy to create (with no way to verify if its true or not) and debaters being able to make them themselves. Can a debater get evidence from them? What are your thoughts? Should a Judge discard them?
Blogs are totally credible if the person who wrote them is credible. A judge shouldn't "discard" a blog, but if a debater quotes from "lovingchris.blogspot.com" that just wouldn't be a very strong piece of evidence. A judge shouldn't "discard" that blog, but it would easily be beaten by a dose of logic or a qualified counter source.

_________________
+X wrote:
Oh, come now, Daniel. Your mafia playing habits make you a no-good double-crossing manipulative liar. But I would never call you a jerk!

;) <3


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:38 pm
Posts: 784
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Insied ur interwebz
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 1394
Home Schooled: Yes
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.


Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

_________________
Andrew Min
ahmin@princeton.edu
Arete Speech & Debate, NCFCA, Class of 2011


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 am 
Offline
Evil Democrat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 3334
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Advancing the gay agenda
andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.


Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

In fact, you might say he's INcredible!

That was lame. But I had to do it.

_________________
josephsamelson.com


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:34 am 
Offline
The Great White Sharc
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 pm
Posts: 4769
Home Schooled: Yes
andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.


Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

You don't have to "call" him uncredible. Just quote his article in 2006 pushing for the government to lower interest rates in order to cause a housing bubble. ;)

_________________
Marc Davis

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:38 pm
Posts: 784
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Insied ur interwebz
Obama has a Nobel too, and so does Al Gore... having a Nobel does not make you any less of a failure of a human being.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 1394
Home Schooled: Yes
013 wrote:
andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.


Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

You don't have to "call" him uncredible. Just quote his article in 2006 pushing for the government to lower interest rates in order to cause a housing bubble. ;)


One mistake =/= uncredible.

Hey, I disagree with Krugman's economics too :P. That doesn't mean I dismiss whatever he says because he's Keynesian.

tehepicpwnzor wrote:
Obama has a Nobel too, and so does Al Gore... having a Nobel does not make you any less of a failure of a human being.


I guess a blogger should be on par with the Harvard Law Review, under your logic. Obama was, after all, the editor of the HLR. ;)

_________________
Andrew Min
ahmin@princeton.edu
Arete Speech & Debate, NCFCA, Class of 2011


Last edited by andrewmin on Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
Offline
Get off my lawn, young'ins!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 pm
Posts: 1912
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Frantically hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del
tehepicpwnzor wrote:
Obama has a Nobel too, and so does Al Gore... having a Nobel does not make you any less of a failure of a human being.
Dude. Please distinguish between peace prizes and scientific prizes.

The Nobel peace prize means basically nothing, it's just awarded to someone who is trying to do a lot of good for the world. (Although the Nobel committee's perception of "good for the world" may not be the same as yours, in the case of Obama and Gore.)

The Nobel scientific prizes (physics, economics, etc.) carry much more significance, and indicate that the recipient has made a monumental and groundbreaking contribution to their field. It doesn't mean that they're a perfect person, or that they're always right, but it does mean that you'd better pay attention when they start talking about their field of expertise.

Peace prizes mean almost nothing; science prizes mean major "field cred". Don't get them mixed up.

/petpeeve

_________________
Abe bimuí bithúo dousí abe - "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free"

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:57 pm
Posts: 978
Home Schooled: Yes
Quoting my blog is highly advised.


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm 
Offline
Cupcake
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Posts: 1211
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Illinois
Kramer wrote:
Quoting my blog is highly advised.


I'll quote it at nationals.

Especially against New START.

_________________
Drew Chambers
LinkedIn


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 am 
Offline
Bumble! Bumble!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:30 pm
Posts: 1152
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Bumbling about in beautiful Colorado
I quote blogs. You just have to quote them carefully. Smart people blog just like not so smart people, and the author counts much more than the url.

_________________
My guideline is, if you ever have to ask yourself if you're doing something creepy, you probably are. But then go ahead and do it anyway because being creepy is fun.
~JeremyB


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 am
Posts: 27
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Where e're I be, there I am.
My answer to that is...

No. Unless it is the blog of a very well-known source (like Timothy Geithner), you probably shouldn't quote them. Usually blog posts of well-known sources are in the form of an article, so those are fine to use. However, GET A SOURCE AND THE WEB ADDRESS!

I made a mistake where I almost misquoted somebody because the quote I got off of a blog was very similar to what the blogger was saying, but not exactly.

Do your best to get your evidence from a published source (like The Heritage Foundation).

_________________
"I SAID...*machine gun fire mowing down Nazis*...don't call me Junior!"

-Indiana Jones


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
Offline
Evil Democrat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:23 am
Posts: 3334
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Advancing the gay agenda
IndianaJones wrote:
My answer to that is...

No. Unless it is the blog of a very well-known source (like Timothy Geithner), you probably shouldn't quote them. Usually blog posts of well-known sources are in the form of an article, so those are fine to use. However, GET A SOURCE AND THE WEB ADDRESS!

I made a mistake where I almost misquoted somebody because the quote I got off of a blog was very similar to what the blogger was saying, but not exactly.

Do your best to get your evidence from a published source (like The Heritage Foundation).

Quoting the heritage foundation isn't that much better than quoting a blog :P

[also, please refrain from resurrecting 7 month old threads by posting things that we're established earlier. /pet peeve of mine.]

_________________
josephsamelson.com


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Offline
Forerunner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 am
Posts: 1090
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Locations are too mainstream
I use 1 card in my whole AFF backup from a blog. but the blog is written by a very famous and credible guy. (He has his own wikipedia page even)

_________________
NCFCA debate and speech alumni
Former homeschooler
Joel Thomas
Liberty University


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:28 pm 
Offline
Guardian of the Black Room
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 am
Posts: 878
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: 127.0.0.1
Forerunner wrote:
I use 1 card in my whole AFF backup from a blog. but the blog is written by a very famous and credible guy. (He has his own wikipedia page even)

^ :shock:

Having a wiki page makes you, like, so credible. :P I do hope that your famous/credible guy has more credentials than that... :lol:

(Just poking at you...)

//Andrew

_________________
"The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits"
- G.K. Chesterton


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm 
Offline
Forerunner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 am
Posts: 1090
Home Schooled: Yes
Location: Locations are too mainstream
anorton wrote:
Having a wiki page makes you, like, so credible. :P I do hope that your famous/credible guy has more credentials than that... :lol:

(Just poking at you...)

//Andrew


No I'm quoting Lady Gaga cus she has a Wikipedia page!!!!

the guy I'm quoting is legit. seriously.

_________________
NCFCA debate and speech alumni
Former homeschooler
Joel Thomas
Liberty University


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 am
Posts: 107
Home Schooled: Yes
In my opinion, there's really nothing wrong with blogs as long as the person you're quoting is credible.

_________________
"Until the possible becomes actual, it's only a distraction." ~ Qui-Gonn Jin

Verve, WA
G. Smith


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited