homeschool debate | Forums Wiki

HomeSchoolDebate

Speech and Debate Resources and Community
Forums      Wiki
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm
Not a member? Guests can only see part of the forums. To see the whole thing (and add your voice!), just register a free account by following these steps.

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:55 am 

Home Schooled: Yes
With blogs being so easy to create (with no way to verify if its true or not) and debaters being able to make them themselves. Can a debater get evidence from them? What are your thoughts? Should a Judge discard them?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 am 
Doesn't have a title.

The best way to handle blogs is just as with any other potential sources of cards. If you really have a problem with a card, then explain where exactly the author errs and present something contradictory. For example, if your opponents cite a blog as a source of some kind of scientific information, then you need to show the judge that the information originally appeared in the blog (I have no idea how you would do that), explain why peer review makes information more credible, and present contradictory information that is more credible.

This is why the most important part of a citation is almost always the author, not the publication (unless the author is not given).

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:09 am 

Zeo12 wrote:
With blogs being so easy to create (with no way to verify if its true or not) and debaters being able to make them themselves. Can a debater get evidence from them? What are your thoughts? Should a Judge discard them?

Also it depends on the blog. My senior year (India) our 1AC had a citation from a blog, but it was a blog written a PhD candidate in the exact field she was writing about. So that's pretty legit.

You probably don't want to cite blogs like Gus's Conservative Soapbox of the New Revolution, though.

Google it, we're the second link that pops up. We're pretty proud of that.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:33 pm 
Laugh, or I will kill you

Zeo12 wrote:
Blogs are totally credible if the person who wrote them is credible. A judge shouldn't "discard" a blog, but if a debater quotes from "lovingchris.blogspot.com" that just wouldn't be a very strong piece of evidence. A judge shouldn't "discard" that blog, but it would easily be beaten by a dose of logic or a qualified counter source.

;) <3

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 am 

The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am 

tehepicpwnzor wrote:
The New York Times blogs are generally credible (except Krugman's). It's unadvisable to use uncredited blogs like Blogspots.

Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:31 am 
Evil Democrat

andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:

Krugman's a Nobel laureate at Princeton. You may not agree with him, but I'd think twice about calling him uncredible ;)

In fact, you might say he's INcredible!

That was lame. But I had to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:34 am 
The Great White Sharc

andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:

You don't have to "call" him uncredible. Just quote his article in 2006 pushing for the government to lower interest rates in order to cause a housing bubble. ;)

I currently help coach at TACT in Region X.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 am 

Obama has a Nobel too, and so does Al Gore... having a Nobel does not make you any less of a failure of a human being.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm 

013 wrote:
andrewmin wrote:
tehepicpwnzor wrote:

You don't have to "call" him uncredible. Just quote his article in 2006 pushing for the government to lower interest rates in order to cause a housing bubble. ;)

One mistake =/= uncredible.

Hey, I disagree with Krugman's economics too :P. That doesn't mean I dismiss whatever he says because he's Keynesian.

tehepicpwnzor wrote:
Obama has a Nobel too, and so does Al Gore... having a Nobel does not make you any less of a failure of a human being.

I guess a blogger should be on par with the Harvard Law Review, under your logic. Obama was, after all, the editor of the HLR. ;)

Last edited by andrewmin on Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
Get off my lawn, young'ins!

tehepicpwnzor wrote:
Dude. Please distinguish between peace prizes and scientific prizes.

The Nobel peace prize means basically nothing, it's just awarded to someone who is trying to do a lot of good for the world. (Although the Nobel committee's perception of "good for the world" may not be the same as yours, in the case of Obama and Gore.)

The Nobel scientific prizes (physics, economics, etc.) carry much more significance, and indicate that the recipient has made a monumental and groundbreaking contribution to their field. It doesn't mean that they're a perfect person, or that they're always right, but it does mean that you'd better pay attention when they start talking about their field of expertise.

Peace prizes mean almost nothing; science prizes mean major "field cred". Don't get them mixed up.

/petpeeve

COG 2016 generics-only sourcebook - NCFCA/Stoa (thread)
Factsmith research software - v1.5 currently available (thread)
Loose Nukes debate blog - stuff to read with your eyes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:14 pm 

Quoting my blog is highly advised.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm 
Cupcake

Kramer wrote:
Quoting my blog is highly advised.

I'll quote it at nationals.

Especially against New START.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 am 
Bumble! Bumble!

I quote blogs. You just have to quote them carefully. Smart people blog just like not so smart people, and the author counts much more than the url.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 pm 

My answer to that is...

No. Unless it is the blog of a very well-known source (like Timothy Geithner), you probably shouldn't quote them. Usually blog posts of well-known sources are in the form of an article, so those are fine to use. However, GET A SOURCE AND THE WEB ADDRESS!

I made a mistake where I almost misquoted somebody because the quote I got off of a blog was very similar to what the blogger was saying, but not exactly.

Do your best to get your evidence from a published source (like The Heritage Foundation).

-Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
Evil Democrat

IndianaJones wrote:
My answer to that is...

No. Unless it is the blog of a very well-known source (like Timothy Geithner), you probably shouldn't quote them. Usually blog posts of well-known sources are in the form of an article, so those are fine to use. However, GET A SOURCE AND THE WEB ADDRESS!

I made a mistake where I almost misquoted somebody because the quote I got off of a blog was very similar to what the blogger was saying, but not exactly.

Do your best to get your evidence from a published source (like The Heritage Foundation).

Quoting the heritage foundation isn't that much better than quoting a blog :P

[also, please refrain from resurrecting 7 month old threads by posting things that we're established earlier. /pet peeve of mine.]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm 
Forerunner

I use 1 card in my whole AFF backup from a blog. but the blog is written by a very famous and credible guy. (He has his own wikipedia page even)

Liberty University

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:28 pm 
Guardian of the Black Room

Forerunner wrote:
I use 1 card in my whole AFF backup from a blog. but the blog is written by a very famous and credible guy. (He has his own wikipedia page even)

^ :shock:

Having a wiki page makes you, like, so credible. :P I do hope that your famous/credible guy has more credentials than that... :lol:

(Just poking at you...)

//Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:58 pm 
Forerunner

anorton wrote:
Having a wiki page makes you, like, so credible. :P I do hope that your famous/credible guy has more credentials than that... :lol:

(Just poking at you...)

//Andrew

No I'm quoting Lady Gaga cus she has a Wikipedia page!!!!

the guy I'm quoting is legit. seriously.

Liberty University

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:39 am 

In my opinion, there's really nothing wrong with blogs as long as the person you're quoting is credible.

Verve, WA
G. Smith

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next